Saturday, July 26, 2014

WIP Blade Liger

Lots of delay in the work due to the need to wait for both airbrush and spraybooth to be available. The spraybooth even broke down after a week due to the faulty adapter. I also damaged my airbrush nozzle which I have to get spare part as it is my first time airbrushing.

One of the reason I bought an airbrush is to try the hair spray technique for weathering. I find the technique quite difficult to get a good result as the base coat get in the way of the blue color tone, making it darker than I liked.

Hair spray technique consist of spraying the inner coat of paint with hairspray and sprinkled with salt. Then spray the intended color over it and when it drys use a toothbrush to brush of the salt to reveal the inner coat of paint. The type of salt used cannot be too fine as the more I paint the more of it get dissolved and the numerous coats of paint also make it hard to create the chipping effect especially on those parts without the salt.

The second weathering technique I used on the non-blue parts is the sponge technique which involve using a sponge with minimal paint to add rust effects. It is a much easier technique and it looks great. Although, it may not be the most realistic looking, it is the easiest to do.





The third technique I used is oil wash. It basically used to tinge the surface with a darker tone. I used brown oil paint thinned with enamel thinner till it is very diluted to cover the whole kit after the painting is done.

The last technique I used is tamiya weathering master. It is more of an add on. It can make certain parts have a more rusted look. It is quite easy to apply as it comes in compact packages with a brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment